Thursday, April 16, 2015

Escape

A few hours ago, I heard them. The shadow men, somewhere in a caves. Getting closer. I stood up and drew my sword, preparing to make a final stand there. I was probably gonna starve to death soon anyway. Might as well go out fighting.
“Whatever they are, you're no match for them,” the gargoyle thing said, finally speaking.
“No one asked you,” I said.
“I can feel them,” he said. “there's six of them, at least, and they have powerful auras You may wield a Mercygiver, but you are still human. You can't win.”
I stopped for a moment. Another man had once referred to Caledfwlch as a Mercygiver as well, saying that it was a blade of darkness. I'm still not sure what Mercygivers are, but this man had peaked my interest.
“You know about my sword?” I asked him.
“It's a dangerous thing to be wielding,” he told me.
I heard them getting closer to us.
“We don't have time for idle chat,” he said. “Scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.”
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“I can get us out of here,” he said. “I just need you to do one thing.”
“What would that be?” I asked.
“Impale me.”
“What!?” I said, baffled.
“Run me through with your sword,” he said.
I thought a moment before responding.
“You want me to kill you so that they won't,” I said. “Then I'll be left to face them alone.”
“Mercygivers can spread distrust in their wielders,” he said. “I assure you, that is not my plan. I don't die easy. Just stab me, and I can get us out of here.”
The footsteps of the shadow men were almost upon us now. I snatched up my bag and eyes the man in the wall suspiciously.
“Make up your mind,” he said “They're almost here.”
I hesitated for a few moments before rushing forward and stabbing the tip of Caledfwlch deep into his torso. His wings suddenly exploded in crimson light, destroying the wall he was trapped in and freeing him. The interconnecting segments of his wings spread out, the glowing red light stretching between them. He staggered slightly, before scooping me up and flying upward. He tore straight through the ceiling of the caves, and into the air. The buildings began moving erratically, as if they were alive. They tried blocking us, crushing us, falling down on us. They seemed to grow taller, so that we couldn't get above them. The winged man began losing altitude quickly. He was losing blood. He wasn't going to last much longer.
And then we were suddenly back in the normal world, and we crashed into a building. I just lay there for a while, wondering what the hell just happened I soon realized that there was a note stuck to my chest. I examined it, to see large, barely legible purple crayon writing, saying “YOU CAN THANK ME LATER -THE BACKER”.
Then a woman rushed into the room, and say my winged companion. She seemed to recognize him. She pulled Caledfwlch out of him and handed it back to be. I helped her get him into bed, and she began treating his wounds. As she did, I explained everything to her, and she listened. She said her name is Milla. That she's an old acquaintance of his. He needs to rest. I'm going to stay here while he recovers. He knows about my sword. I want to know about it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment